Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I should probably get some rest...

...but I felt like posting, so here I am.

I guess this is going to be kind of a State of the Game type post instead of the screenies I promised. I am still working on collecting more cool ones anyhow, so you'll just have to wait. ;)

Some things that are still broken with 1.2, and some things that 1.2 broke. Man... there are alot of 'em. I know I'm not the only one who is utterly frustrated with how things are now, especially from a destruction point of view. It's to the point now that I am truly dreading the day Urp reaches R32, and at that time will have to decide if I'm going to start work on another alt or continue up into the Tier I have been avoiding due to all the problems. So here they are, in no particular order:

**AOE - It's completely out of control for both sides, but moreso Order than Destruction due to the combination of the Wildfire and Fan the Flames tactics for Bright Wizards. I decided to lay Nimboo for a short bit today, and was running to defend the south keep in Black Crag when I was set upon by a small band of order, with one Bright Wizard. Now, not only did they have more than enough manpower (I think there were 5 of them, could have been more) to take me down, as I was by myself... but get this: The BW did not hit me with one single target spell. He ran up to me after tossing on his debuff and proceeded to AOE.

Yep. AOE'd me down... when I was by myself. WTF???

This sort of overpowered ability presents a number of problems. First, due to the tactic that BW's have that increases the radiius of the spell, if they are on a keep wall when they cast it, it can hit targets up to 110 feet away from the wall. Now, last I checked, the max range of RDPS abilities is... 100ft. So how is it you're supposed to hit hit the door, or try and kill the people AOEing you??

Oh wait... that's that other glaring issue with AOE as it is in the game right now... LOS.

You couldn't even hit the AOE'er if you WERE in range, because he is hiding safely and conveniently behind a battlement out of LOS of your abilities, yet he can easily cast RoF to his heart's content and never take damage but from his own Blacklash, thus making it impossible to stop the endless Rain of Fire dropping down on your head.

Then there is the stupidity of the overpoweredness of this ability from the other end. I know the good BW's (and Sorc's, tho theirs isn't nearly so ridiculous as the BW's) are frustrated with one button easy mode. They have made plenty of posts on the forums asking Mythic to please revamp their AOE, even including videos such as the one that shows a team of three Bright Wizards and a Warrior Priest AOEing down anentire Destro warband inside a BO from behind a pillar where they can't be seen. This sort of thing is not good for the game as a whole. It's boring for both the AOEspammers and the ones being subject to the spam, and it needs to be fixed, pronto.

Another problem is that AOE ticks are not supposed to crit... however, they ARE critting. And often. ONE TICK of that Bright Wizard's RoF today crit Nimboo for 2180. Is this balance??

**Cleansing Power - Warrior Priests are a little more difficult to convince that this ability needs a look, but I HAVE seen some of the more reasonable ones admitting it really needs to go. It works like this: whenever the Warrior Priest heals an ally with Divine Aid, Touch Of The Divine, Pious Restoration, or Martyr's Blessing, they will also be cured of 1 Curse.

One Curse? What's the big deal?

Well, you see, 1.2 changed alot of Sorceress' abilities to Curses. DoK's and Chosen attacks are, for the most part, Curses... and ALL the Choppas attacks are... you guessed it... CURSES. So with one Warrior Priest in the vicinity casting group heals, your team is basically completely immune to any abilities any of the abovementioned classes could use to damage you.

Even better?? IT IS A 3 POINT MASTERY SKILL TALENT. THREE POINTS. How on earth did this talent ever make it to the live version of the game??? Is this balance??

**CC Immunities - ...are just plain broken. Where are the Knockback Immunities, and why aren't they working? What happened to Disorients affecting instant cast abilitites???? Is this balance???

**Healing - Healing in WAR has also turned into mindless one-button spam... which is why I have shelved my Zealot for the most part (combined with the fact that the class is broken beyond belief, but that's not what this post is about, so I'll save you my rant on that one). The main problem? My AOE healing can not keep up with the incoming AOE damage.

I'll give you an example. My Zealot is in 3/6 Darkpromise 3/6 Sentinel. She has about all the crit she can get from gear (outside of the DP feet which won't drop), and some really nice jewelry pieces. Her Dust of Pandemonium (2.5s cast AOE Heal) hits for around 1200. Now remember up above there I mentioned I was crit on Nim today for 2180 by a tick of RoF... then imagine I'm trying to heal my team through multiple casts of RoF.

Given that healers are rather scarce in any MMO (and, it seems, especially in WAR) are you going to be able to stack your group with enough healers to heal through 1k+ damage per second from each BW (and lately, with everyone and their brother dusting off their R40 BW alts, that can add up to quite a number) in order to heal through that kind of damage with a 2.5 second cast that heals for 1200?

And why on earth are DoK and WP group heals healing for more than mine are, when they are supposed to be melee hybrids??

Is this balance???

**Resists - Nerfed to 40%... why even have them in the game at all? They're pretty well useless at this point. You can't stack enough to negate nearly enough of the damage being dished out from AOE these days to be able to survive without hitting the extremely low softcap. May as well stack Wounds and whatever else you need to be able to heal or do damage and be done with it, since Resists are pointless now.


Anyhow, these are my gripes, or at least the gripes I can think of right now. I'm about sick to death of the AOE-fest WAR has become and I'm really loathe to continue to pay for a game I'm really just not having fun playing. I'm not going to cancel just yet, because I still do love the game, but things really need to be set right, and fast. Most people aren't nearly as patient as I am, and since 1.2 basically broke the damn game, alot of people are logging on these days only to do PvE instances and then logging off. This really, really makes me sad, because I really wanted to see this game succeed... I just don't know what they can do at this point besides reverting stuff back to 1.1 and hoping people forget 1.2 ever happened.


2 comments:

  1. I hear that toughness is the new stat of choice. As soon as I resolve my video card issue. I will be taking a look.

    ReplyDelete