Monday, February 2, 2009

Guide to Making Dyes (If You Are So Inclined)

This post was originally a response to someone in another blog asking if dyes were craftable. I wrote this up as a little guide to help people who are actually interested in procc'ing multiple dyes either for guildies or as a means of income. I hope it helps anyone who might be interested. :D

(Vinda is a 200 Cultivator and a 75 Apothecary)


Dye Making Made Easy... Sort of...

Dyes require three materials to make, two of which (the Mortar and Pestle and the Fixer) can be purchased from any crafting vendor.

The tricky part is getting the Extracts. There are currently five types of extracts in the game for five different color dyes:

*Honeycomb Extract - Golden Yellow Dye - Seed level 1-25
*Resinous Brown Extract - Scorched Brown Dye (Which is actually a very nice dark maroony red) Seed level 50-75
*Verdant Leaf Extract - Verdant Green Dye - Seed level 100 ONLY - These extracts are very rare and hard to proc!
*Blue Bottle Fly Extract - Seaguard Blue Dye - Seed level 125
*Fiery Red Ant Extract - Red Gore Dye (PINK! lol) - Seed level 150-175

The way to produce the extracts is based off two procs. First, you must grow a seed of the appropriate level of plant for the dye you wish to make and hope that a Hybrid Seed procs. You will know this happens when you produce an Arboreal Resin (which is used as an apothecary Stabilizer) and a new seed with a slightly different name.

I set these seeds aside till I am done growing all the seeds I have for the dye I am attempting to produce (put them in the bank) and continue growing the normal seeds till they’re all gone and I’m only left with the hybrids.

Then I take the hybrid seeds and grow them, using the highest level soil/watering cans/nutrients I have available. (I have a R40 Squig Herder alt who is a butcher and my husband is a scavenger, so I am never low on high level mats) and pray for as many procs as I can get. The hybrid seeds can proc multiple Extracts from a single seed. Also, the Extract procs are considered what is called a “Special Moment” (epic proc) and will always proc the original type of hybrid seed back to you. I have procc'ed STACKS of a single color extract from one base seed! Also, using high level mats also increases the chances of procc'ing another hybrid seed back to you even without procc'ing an extract, so regardless, the higher level the mats are, the better.

Generally I am making the Scorched Brown, since that seems to be a popular color. I use a hybrid seed of the appropriate level (50-75), 153+ soil, a 162+ watering can, and a 162+ nutrient in order to proc 2 extracts per seed. (If I have higher level mats available I use them as well, but the 160ish level stuff is usually what I have the most of on hand.) I have gotten up to three extract procs from one seed using level 200 mats.

***Broken Things:

1. Seeds can also proc Fixers that you can’t buy from a vendor. They are rumoured to be intended to allow you to proc different color dyes, but currently this does not seem to work. Supposedly once this is fixed, Black Dye will become craftable.

2. Occasionally while I’m making dyes, I will get a message in my chatbox saying “You have made something better!” but nothing out of the ordinary actually happens. I’m not sure if this is a different color dye available as a proc that is broken or if it is intended for us to be able to create multiple dyes from a single extract as a proc.

Anyhow, sorry for the wall of text. I know that one of my darling Clubbin's greatest complaints as an apothecary is the need for so many stabilizers for making high level pots so having me as a cultivator with all the resins I proc is very helpful to him… and you don’t need to be an certain level to max out your crafting (like in WoW, which was one of the things I hated about the crafting in that game) so leveling a cultivator on a low level alt with the express intent of growing mats and making dyes is not beyond the realm of possibility. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the guide! Here I thought the extract procs were completely random, but I guess not. I'll have to keep an eye out for the hybrid seeds.

    ReplyDelete